Thursday, February 20, 2014

What a difference a year makes


One year ago today, I got on an airplane that would take me on a journey that I never would have imagine.  This time last year, I walked on the flight to Orlando where I would run my very first half marathon at the Disney Princess Half Marathon.  I had trained and I was pretty sure knew  hoped I could actually do it.  I figured it would be one and done.  Boy, was I wrong!

As I am watching my friends board their flights and pick up their bibs for the half or the brand new Glass Slipper Challenge (a 10K one day and the half the next), I am a little jealous that I am not there again.  But, I don't need to go there again (anytime soon).  The Princess Half was my first 13.1 mile race.  It was hot and it was hard.  I stopped and took a TON of pictures.  You can read all about the race right here.  It was awesome.  Disney is a great place for a first race.  I've come a long way since then.

I never thought that I would be sitting here, a year later, with 10 half marathons behind me.  I've raced almost 200 miles since I signed on for this adventure last year...with countless more in training.  I've had a couple of amazing races (OBX is my favorite, with Nike a close second.)  I've had some HORRIBLE races (Diva, Crawling Crab, Myrtle Beach.)  I have never quit.  I have crossed every finish line.  Sometimes it was fast-ish (OBX!) and sometimes it was slower than usual (Myrtle Beach). Sometimes it was easy and fun.  Sometimes it was hard...really hard. I've learned how to enjoy running.  I've made great running friends.  I've met random people at races who inspire me.  I've gone to visit places I wouldn't have gone to otherwise.  I am a Half Fanatic (#4455), mooned up to Uranus for finished 8 races in a calendar year.  I am a runner.

So, what's next?  


I think it's time.  It's going to be hard.  It's going to be really hard.  I'm going to be slow.  But, I'm going to do it.  And, I am going to do it in Disney.  I can't think of a better place to run my first full marathon.  So, come January 2015, I will be a marathoner.  It will probably be one and done.  (Where have you heard that before???)

I have some work to do before that.  I need to lose some weight.  Training itself and the distance will be easier on my body if there is less of me.  (Not fishing for anything here...it's a truth.  Plus my brother is getting married the week after the race.  Two birds with one stone.)  I also need to get over the 13.1 hump.  Some people get scared of 20 miles....I'm afraid of 14.  But, I never thought I would be able to do 13.1 either.  I'll get there.

I'll also keep up with my half marathon a month schedule.  March has Charlotte and Shamrock, April is Atlantic City, May is Frederick, MD, June is back to Williamsburg, July - TBD, August will be Rock and Roll (the race I swore I would never run), September is Bird in Hand, PA, October is Crab again (redemption!) and Hershey, PA, November is OBX again (loved it!) and maybe Richmond, and December is TBD.   And, all the while...building up to 26.2.

Why Disney, you ask?  Where else can you ride a roller coaster in the middle of a marathon??


No comments:

Post a Comment