Saturday, February 1, 2014

Go Long



There was a lot going on this weekend.  There was a short notice Saturday morning choir rehearsal, a basketball game, church on Sunday, school work to do, some cleaning that needed to happen, it was Superbowl Sunday, and I needed to go for a run...a LONG run.

I mentioned in the previous post that Snowmageddon hit the South this past week.  We had 8 inches of snow, were out of school for 3 days, and still had ice on the roads through Saturday.  The roads were better, but the ice was still there.   I had to make some choices.

I decided to skip the church choir rehearsal in favor of the run.  It had to get done and that was the best time to do it.  The day was warming up, the ice was getting slushy, and I was going to get it done.  I wanted to wait until the ice melted a little, so I started out at 9 in the morning.

It was a bit treacherous along my 10 mile route.  I wasn't able to run my 2:1 intervals....I was running ice:pavement intervals.  There was a LOT of walking so I didn't fall and break something.  A lot of my run looked like this...except instead of a nice running path through the snow, there was a sheet of ice.

It was great to go out there.  It was a beautiful day.  I rolled up my sleeves about 2 miles in and enjoyed the solitude.  Maybe it was all of the walking, but when I had pavement, I just ran.  If the watch beeped to walk, I kept running because I knew that there would be ice just around the corner and I would miss the next running interval (or two....or three sometimes).  It was my longest run since West Virginia. 

I had more in me.  I could have gone 2 or 3 more miles.  But, as is typical with my life, I was out of time.  Lunch had to be made and my little Larry Byrd needed to get to his basketball game.  I got back to my house with the Garmin showing 9.8 miles.  I'm sure you know what happened next.  
Sure did!

10 miles in 2:20 (ish).  It's still 10 miles.  Myrtle Beach, here I come!


No comments:

Post a Comment