Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Snowmageddon 2014


For anyone who doesn't know....I live in southeastern Virginia.  In 30 minutes, I can be sitting in my beach chair with my toes in the sand, soaking up the sun with a sea breeze in my face.....except it's winter.

I tell you about my location to remind you that we aren't so prepared for snow down here.  We maybe get 10 inches a DECADE.  (That might be a slight exaggeration, but only slight...)  Last week we got 2 inches or so and we were out of school for 2 days.  Tonight we are expected to get 10 inches...10 INCHES of SNOW.  We might be out of school until March.  

Because we don't get snow very often and it's going to be up to my knees when I wake up in the morning, I decided to stick to the plan and get my run in tonight.  Since the opportunity doesn't present itself, I did my run outside...in the snow.  I put on some fleece lined tights, my running tights, two shirts, a sweatshirt, a pair of gloves, my neon yellow running hat, my pink socks and my running shoes and I hit the road.

There was about a half inch of snow on the road when I started.  I didn't know how far I was going to go when I started.  I turned on my music and quickly turned it off.  I liked hearing my footsteps crunching in the snow and the snow falling around me.  It was just quiet and peaceful.  To keep my husband from worrying, I stayed in my neighborhood to stay safe since there are crazies out on the snowy main roads.  

As I started my run, it was obvious that I was the only one out and about.  I loved it!  

As I started my second lap, my footprints were starting to get covered with snow.  After a mile and a half, I knew that I wanted to keep going, but I started to want my music, so I turned it on and kept going.  As I was finishing my last lap, my neighbor poked her head out of the door and yelled to me.  I think she thought I was crazy.  She's probably right.

I ended up running 3 miles in the snow tonight.  The snow was getting deep as I was finishing, so I am really glad I didn't try to wait until tomorrow when there will be 10 inches on the ground.  

I really liked running in the snow.  It was quiet time with me.  I think what makes it so exciting is that we don't get to do it very often down here in the South.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica!

    Congrats on all of your running achievements and goals! Seeing others struggle, succeed, and push forward with an active lifestyle helps keep me motivated, too. Running can be so rewarding - but in the cold? yuck!

    I am reaching out to you for permission to use your photo with Jeff Galloway from the Princess Half (posted on your other blog) in an article I am writing for February about photo tips for the Princess Half. I ran the last two years but ironically many of my tips I failed to follow when I was a participant! Ha!

    The blog I write for is Capturing Magic (www.capturingmagic.me) which is focused on capturing and creating memories at Disney. If it is okay with you, let me know how I should credit your photo (your name, or blog name, for example). I also link back to the original site if I use someone else's photo.

    Thanks so much!
    Beth
    http://capturingmagic.me/author/beth

    ReplyDelete