Friday, January 3, 2014

Relationships are Complicated


I'm just going to say it....I wussed out today.   I didn't run outside.  It was cold and it was windy and I just didn't feel like being out there.  So, I went upstairs, turned on the window air conditioner (the room over the garage is the hottest room in the house), and tried to kiss and make up with my treadmill.  It's been neglected.  I can't remember the last time I was on the treadmill.  After we got back on speaking terms, I got started.


I really hate the treadmill.   It's boring.  It's like being all dressed up with no place to go.  But, I had to do it.  So, I started with a quarter mile walk.  It wasn't all that fast, but it got me reacquainted with the monotony of the treadmill.  (We used to have a TV in that room.  I would watch Jeopardy and get smarter while I was getting fitter.  Now I just have to run....like a real runner.  I liked it better when I was still a wanna-be runner.)  Anyway, after my little walk, I restarted the timer and planned for a 5K.  I started on 2:1 intervals (2 minutes running, 2 minutes walking).  We all know that I am slow, so my running was at a 6.0...which is about a 10 minute mile.  I walked at 3.7...which is about a crawl.  I am happy to say that I was able to keep those intervals for just about the entire run.  There were some times when I walked a little longer (but never REALLY long) and one interval that I ran at a 5.5.  I finished my 5K in 36:30 (about a minute off my fastest 5K, but most definitely not my slowest...).  After that, I just kept walking.  I walked another 3/4 mile to bring the entire journey today to 4 miles.

Completely off topic, but while I was running along at a 6.0, I was reminded of the early days of this running adventure.  I walked at a 3.5 and could barely run at  4.0....4.5 was pushing it.  Sometimes, especially when it is hard, it's nice to look back and see that there has been progress....slow progress, but progress just the same.

My knee is talking to me again.  This was the exact same time of year that I got IT Band Syndrome last year.   Looks like I have a date with my foam roller tonight!!

In other news, Frick and Frack (aka - the Big Boys) are all signed up for the Shamrock Final Mile.  We have 25 miles to get through together between now and March 15.  I am really excited to start this journey with them.

1 comment:

  1. Good job. I put my treadmill on Craigslist today :)

    ReplyDelete