Sunday, January 26, 2014

And now for something completely different....


Today I ran.  It was "only" 3 miles, but I did it.  I had a slow, cold, and super fun run with 3 of my MRTT friends.  I have run at least a little ways with each of them, but I have never run with all 3 of them together.  It was a blast.  I wish we could have kept going.  I think I had 5 in me today.  :)

But, the run was just the appetizer.  The main event today was a Yoga for Runners class.  Taught by our fearless MRTT leader, we knew we would be in for a treat.  This class had some die hard yogis (is that even a word?) and some brand newbies (like me.)  I'm going to be perfectly honest, I was a little scared going into this.  I have heard about yoga and it's zen and chi and all of that jazz.  I had visions of falling out of a pose and starting the domino effect as I knocked everyone around me over.  That would have totally messed up the zen.  Plus, the yoga class at the Y that meets right before my Zumba class is SERIOUS...I mean bring your own mat and wear your lululemon yoga outfit serious.  That is NOT me.  I don't own a pair of yoga pants and I showed up in a race t-shirt.  Our fearless leader had her work cut out for her.

After our run, we all came into the studio, beautifully arranged our rainbow of mats and got the low down on what would be happening.  We started with a lot of Downward Dog, did some Plank, went into Warrior 1, 2, and 3, did some Lizard Lunges, and ended with some Pigeons.  There was some mean and just evil core work in the middle, but I am really trying to block that out.  My favorite of all of the poses was Child's Pose.....because you just lay on the floor with your behind in the air.

Make no mistake...yoga is HARD.  People are hard core about it for a reason. There was a lot of balancing (hard in bare feet...my ankles were hurting) and pulling your legs into unnatural positions while you are balancing.  I am not graceful enough to flow.  My movements were jerky and uncoordinated.


I was totally out of my comfort zone.  I pretty much hated yoga.  I don't think I would ever get up enough courage to crash a yoga class at the Y.  But, I was with some amazing women in that class today.  I would go to another yoga class with them.  One of the girls said it was "the noisiest and most entertaining" yoga classes she has ever been to.  It was.  Even though I was awkward and it was hard and I fell out of most a few of the poses, it was fun and it was encouraging.  

Our fearless leader said she may offer these classes as community classes in the future.  I would give it another try....but only with her.  :)  She would just walk over and adjust me (some other people, but mostly me) and keep talking.  And, everyone keeps saying that the more you try yoga, the better you get. 


I certainly hope so....I really couldn't get much worse.  :)

And, I came home and went another (even slower) mile with my boys for their final mile training.  



No comments:

Post a Comment