Friday, April 5, 2013

The one in which I became a BAMR


Sunday was a group run for a virtual race with my MRTT (Moms Run This Town) chapter.  We got together to run the Jelly Bean Virtual Run.  It was a 5K, 10K or Half Marathon.  It was the Sunday after the Shamrock, so I did the 5K.  The ladies that ran the group run on Friday has a cold, but dry morning.  We had rain in our forecast.  It was supposed to start in the early afternoon, so we moved the run from 2pm to 12 noon.

Apparently, 12:00 sharp means "early afternoon."  It was POURING.  Not only that, there was ice in the rain.  ICE...in the rain...in MARCH.

We all gathered under the picnic pavilion and debated heading out for the run or heading back to our cars.  (I am sure that if you have read my blog before, you know where I stand on running in the rain...or the ice, for that matter.)   I was ready to head back to the car and try again another day.  But my running friend Kris said that she was going to brave it....at the park...in the sleet....by herself.  I felt bad having her out there all alone, so I agreed to go with her for at least a lap (1.5 miles).  Another girl and her 6 year old daughter joined us.   We went slow, but we finished our lap.  Then we just went ahead and did another lap to finish our 3.1 miles.  Kris still had 3 more to do, but I just wasn't ready for all of that.

So, we became BAMRs (that's Bad A$$ Mother Runners) that day.  We ran when some others went back to their cars.  We ran through the rain and ice.  We had mud up the backs of our legs from the trail.  And, we did it together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment