Thursday, April 18, 2013

Running for Boston


There was a lot of talk about how to honor the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings on Facebook in the past couple of days.  I know this because I was sick on the couch and got to read every single one.  THe running community wore race t-shirts and took pictures of their running shoes.  They ran 4.09 miles (the time on the clock when the bombs went off) or 2.26 miles (in honor of the 26.2 marathon distance).  They ran alone.  They ran together.  But, I was sick...puking sick....so I couldn't run.  I had to keep changing my race shirt because the baby was throwing up too.  It was pretty miserable.  I couldn't eat for 2 days.

When I finally started to feel a little better, my husband came home a little early.  I took advantage of him being there and the beautiful spring day and I set off to run my 4.09 miles for Boston.  I took a new route.  I went left at the stop light instead of right.  I ran on the grass in the median so I could get to the neighborhood streets.  Those first two miles felt great!  Then, the lack of food and the lack of energy and two days worth of puking caught up to me.  I started to feel AWFUL.  I changed my intervals from 2 minutes of running/ 1 minute of walking to 2 minutes of walking/1 minute of running.  I couldn't believe it.  I waited all week to run for Boston - for the runners who couldn't finish, for the innocent spectators who were injured or killed, for the city of Boston, and for the running community - and then it was hard.  But, I kept going.  I set out to run 4.09 miles for Boston and I was going to do it, even if I had to walk instead of run.

It took me forever to go 4.09 miles, but I went.  I even tried out my outfit for the Nike Women Marathon next week.   Double win with a whole lot of running fails in the middle of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment