Monday, January 25, 2016

Winter....finally


After the warmest December ever, winter has finally come to Virginia.  It came in like a wrecking ball.  I am serious.  It was 80 one day and about 20 the next and it has stayed cold since New Year's Eve.

The entire Eastern Seaboard got walloped by a massive blizzard over the weekend.  All except us.  No, I am serious.  There was little snow that melted and then a little ice that melted.  We had a 2 hour delay this morning for nothing.  


So, my running friend teaches in a different city than I do.  She teaches in Chesapeake.  When there is a 2 hour delay in Chesapeake, teachers are expected to report as close to on time as safely possible.  When there is a 2 hour delay in Portsmouth, I get to sleep in.  So, we had a conundrum on our hands.  She needed to run early and go to work, I wanted to sleep in and go to work. 
So, our third friend and I took one for the team.  We got up and dark cold thirty and went went running.


It was dark.  It was cold.  It was time to get back to our routine.  Today was supposed to be easy - 1/2 mile run and then 1/4 mile walk.  Everyone has been sick - sinus problems, nasty coughs, not able to breathe in the cold-itis....probably things that should keep us in bed.  So, we run anyway.  1/2 mile stretches were a bridge too far this morning, so we opted for 1/4 mile run, 1/4 mile walk.  

Amazingly, it felt good.  I think I had 1/2 mile stretches in me.  It felt easy.  We were on speedwork pace and it felt easy.  We were talking and running and laughing and having a grand time.  It was easy.  Each mile was faster than the mile before.  That's some progress right there!!

But now, it's 7:18 pm and we are back at it tomorrow for speedwork.  4x800 - that means we have to run 1/2 mile (800 meters) in a specific time (5:50 to be exact).  We get a 1/4 mile (400 meters) rest and then we do 800 again.....4 times.  It ends up being a 3 mile workout.  It's hard work.  I am sort of looking forward to it.....but I am going to bed like a 4 year old.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment