Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Closing Time


What a year!!  There have been some great things this year....and there have been some not so great things.  I took a minute to look back at the goals that I set for myself.  I did some things really well and I missed some things.

Looking back:


1)  I will run at least 1 half marathon every month in 2014.
      - I missed December.  Overall, I ran 16 half marathons in 2014.  I didn't do one in December because I was training....for a full marathon.  I'm counting it.
2)  I will incorporate the 100 Days of Real Food mini challenges.
     - Epic fail on this one.  I did a 6 week clean eating challenge in October and November, which was pretty awesome, but I didn't do this at all.
3)  I will diligently write my monthly budget and use cash to keep our family on track.
     - Sure did!!  Not only did I write the budget, I kept the ledger and checked it against the budget.  Dave Ramsey would have been proud of me!!  We didn't get through any more of the steps, but we kept accountable with our finances every month.
4)  I will go to the gym for weights and cross training at least 2 days every week.
   - Yeah...about that....there's always next year.
5)  I will run 3 days a week.  (2 short runs during the week and 1 long run on the weekends)
     - This one got a slow start (like, 6 months...) but I hit a groove come July!  I was even running 4 days a week!  That makes up for the 6 months that I missed, right?
6)  I will tell my husband and children that I love them EVERY SINGLE DAY.
     - Every day. My family heard that I love them no less than 365 times this year.  Love for the win!
7)  I will start a New Year Jar with my family to remind us that there is a little bit of good in every single day!
     - Nope.  Not even once.  I did the 30 Days of Thankful in November.  That was as good as it got.

Here's a quick Year in Review!

January
Rang in the new year with a trail race in West Virginia.  It was an adventure.  Not my favorite race ever, but it checked WV off the bucket list!

February
Took a mid-winter trip to Myrtle Beach, SC.  Again, not my favorite race, but it checked the box.

March
Two races this month!  The first was to Charlotte, NC to run on the race track and the other was Shamrock, right here at home.  I cheered for my BRF as she finished her first full marathon.  

April
Ran on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City, NJ.  LOVED the ocean views....hated Atlantic City.  My baby boy celebrated his third birthday!  Went to the dark side and registered for my first full marathon.

May
Ventured up to Frederick, MD for my first challenge....5K on Friday, half on Saturday.  I was hooked!  This was also the first time that my inlaws came to a race.  Ended the "dream" job that turned out to be a nightmare.

June
Back to Williamsburg for the Run for the Dream.  Helped my high school frenemy (turned great friend!   One of the best reasons to get out of high school!) through her first half marathon.  My big boys turned 7.  Celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary with my amazing husband with a magical cruise to Alaska.

July
Another year at the Virginia PTA conference.  Learned who Trey Songz is.  Celebrated my birthday.  Amazing adventure with the running girls to hilly Pennsylvania.  Got matched with my AMAZING running buddy, Sophie.  Started training with a running coach.

August
My babies went to summer camp for the first time!  Relaxed at the beach.  Ran the Rock and Roll Half Marathon for the first and last time.  Ran a mile on the sand for the first and last time.

September
My big boys went to 2nd grade.  Wondered how that got big enough to do that.  Started my reign as trophy wife.  Ran amazing (but hot and very, very slow) race in Amish Country.  (Can't wait to go back!)  Went back to sing with the Virginia Symphony Chorus.

October
Finally saw faster running times!!  Celebrated my husband's birthday.  Ran a race adventure at Dover Speedway in Delaware.  Sang Carmina Burana with Virginia Symphony and Richmond Ballet.

November
Remembered how much I have to be thankful for.  Ran 4, yep, that says 4, half marathons.  Ran another race in Disney World!  Started actually training for the full marathon. 

December
Ran some big miles.  Big miles.  Sang Messiah with the Virginia Symphony.  Amazing husband screened for command at sea.  Celebrated the miracle of Christmas with my family and my church family.  Enjoyed much needed family time with my husband and kids. 

Can't wait to see what 2015 has in store!!

No comments:

Post a Comment