Sunday, September 7, 2014

...two in the bush

This weekend brought us to one of the most beautiful destination races of this 50 State journey.  We were in Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania in Lancaster County in the heart of Amish Country.  Because Lancaster is also home to train mecca, the entire family came on this adventure. This is a jam-packed recap, so get ready!

We drove up Friday morning in order to get to the 5K that evening.  We pulled into the race start/finish line party/packet pick up at about 2:30 in the afternoon.  I went through the 5K line to pick up my 5K AND Half bibs.  (Quick pause here...the race organizers made this super easy.  One stop shopping....got both bibs in an envelope.  There were stickers on the outside of the envelope to show the shirt line.)  The volunteer firemen were on hand to help with packet pick up.  Most of the volunteers were Amish.  Started the weekend off right!!

After I picked up my bibs, I went and got my shirts.  Personally, I am tired of the neon green that is so popular this year, so I like the dark blue 5K shirt a little more than the half shirt.  Both shirts are tech, so that's a bonus.  The Fireman Challenge shirt is long sleeved and cotton, so I will be looking forward to wearing that soon...whenever fall decides to make an appearance!  My family was getting hot and cranky, so they headed back to the car while I went over to the table to meet the key note for the weekend.
I read this book once a year.  It makes me think I do things like run a marathon....
Christopher McDougall was SO NICE!  A girl came up behind me who had met him earlier in the evening.  She had mentioned that she just got off the waiting list and couldn't find a hotel.  He offered to let her stay at his house.  No, I mean, seriously.  He meant it.  I love the running community!

Of course, I forgot my well-read, well-loved copy of his book, so I had him sign the next best thing....
We took the boys to see some trains until it was time to head back to the field for the Pasta Party and 5K.  The 5K was scheduled to start at 6:30, but the Pasta Party started at 5.  It was hot, so I wasn't sure what to do.  I opted to eat with my family and hope I didn't throw up.  For $11 a person, we got spaghetti, meatballs, garlic bread, salad, pizza, drinks, and the best desserts EVER.  I took it easy, but got my customary pre-half salad and spaghetti.  I also ate my homemade apple pie with ice cream.  Then I started regretting my decision.....like I said, it was hot!

After dinner, we did some people watching.  It was so amazing to see typical runners, in their bright colored spandex, mingling with Amish runners in their traditional clothes...some with running shoes and some barefoot.  Families were everywhere.  Just before the race started, hot air balloons started floating into the sky.
Didn't mean to get the Amish man in the picture...


At about 6:15, my BRF (who came up solo and met my circus at the Pasta Party) and I went to the shortest lined, cleanest porta potties and then went to the starting line.  There was very little fanfare at the beginning.  There were pace signs to help the runners line up.  BRF and I headed to the back of the pack.  The race started and I just said a little prayer that I would not throw up my pasta dinner.  The race plan was to have fun, so that's what I set out to do.  I started my iPod and set it to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing "Simple Gifts."  Not the world's best running song, but for that evening, it fit.  I crossed the starting line and ran for just about the first mile.  It was quiet and peaceful and we were running past Amish families who were there in droves to support the runners.  They were not yelling and clapping or ringing cowbells or holding signs, but they were there.  It wasn't my best 5K, but in the heat and after dinner, I was happy with my performance.  I had fun, and that is what I was supposed to do!  Double bonus points that I kept my dinner down!

After the race we headed to our caboose.  Yep, our caboose.  When you have 3 little boys and a big boy who are obsessed with trains, if sleeping in a caboose in an option, you are sleeping in a caboose.

The morning came and my BRF kindly came to pick me up and we headed back to the starting line.  The race started at 7:30, but we got there at a little after 6.  After traffic nightmares on country roads in Leesburg last year and a note in the pre-race instructions to bring patience, we weren't taking any chances!  We had an up-front parking spot and we got to enjoy the scenery.



Again, the best porta potty situation I have ever seen.  Not only were the lines short and the insides clean, every single one had motivation taped to the wall.

And then, it was time to get in line.  As we were heading over to the road for the start, we saw this guy:
Haha, super funny....little did I know....
So, to set up the scene for this morning:  it is NOT a crisp fall day in Amish Country.  Instead, it is summer....much like Rock and Roll last week in Virginia Beach.  It was already warm and humid and the temperature was only going to go up.....

We started with the Amish buggy in the lead.  (I did not see this as I was so far back, but I heard about it.)  I started with "Simple Gifts" again and began the most beautiful race I have ever run.   The race plan was to start with 1:1 intervals because of the weather, walk up the hills, and adjust at mile 8.  

I'll get the reality out of the way.  It was hot, it got hotter.  There was no shade....ever.  A breeze finally kicked up at about mile 8, but by then I already wanted to kick something and steal an Amish kid's scooter.  It was hot and I am tired of being hot.  Because I was hot, I was slow.  The slower I was, the hotter it got.  Do you see the pattern?  It was not my finest hour.  I cried for the entire last mile because I was so done.  I wanted to kick something.  It was ugly.  I gave up the plan right about mile 7.  The plan changed to finish on my feet and not in an ambulance.

Now, here's the biggest difference between this race and Rock and Roll from last weekend.....I am ready to sign up TODAY to do this race again.  Even with the hills....and I hate hills.  

The Bird in Hand Half Marathon benefits the local volunteer fire department.  Because of that, the community had a vested interest in its success and does everything they can to support the race and the runners.  All of the water stops are manned by Amish families.  (The kids are just adorable.  They stand there, almost singing "Water, Water.")  The parents are there, but the kids are on the front lines.   Most water stops are in front of the family's home or in front of an Amish school.  Because of the heat, there were a couple of extra water stops thrown in.  There were coolers of ice between the water stops, especially near the end.  At about mile 11, an Amish farmer provided cups of Rita's Italian Ice.  The kids would bring a cup and run about 100 yards to hand you the cup, then run back and get another one.  By the time you got to the table, your cup was done and you could grab another.  Entire families (we are talking 15-20 people) would come to the corner of the land and watch the runners go by.  There was no clapping or yelling, but they were there in support of their community.  The entire feeling was just indescribable!

On top of all of the support, there were the views! 


Yes, it was hilly, but at the top of the hill at mile 7 (which was by far the steepest uphill on the course), we were rewarded with this:
Seriously...at the bottom of the hill I thought I was hallucinating from heat stroke.  When was the last time you saw a camel on your run??  (Do you also see the sweet little hats??  This was a water stop too!)

I would hear the clopping of horse hooves as a buggy came up behind me.  I heard mooing and bugs.  I saw corn (lots of corn....lots and lots of corn).  I saw laundry hung between houses and barns.  

Finally, after too many hours, I got to the finish line, crossing at a personal worst clock time, but a personal best experience!

My family was waiting for me at the finish.  I got my hugs, kisses, and high fives and then I got the most amazing medal I have ever seen.
Hand crafted by an Amish blacksmith.  Every single one is different.

And, you know, no matter how hard that race was or how much I wanted to punch running in the face for about 5 miles, it all comes back to this:

See you next year Bird-in-Hand!

Vella Shpringa - "Let's Run!"

No comments:

Post a Comment