Sunday, March 1, 2015

It's Like Riding a Bike


I haven't been a very good partner since the marathon.  I haven't kept my dates.  I have been doing other things.

Here's the thing - time keeps ticking away.  March 15 and the Tobacco Road Half Marathon are coming up quickly, with Shamrock right after.  I'm not ready.  I have never been this unready for a race.


I don't think I am going to be injured, but I am definitely undertrained. 

I've been pretty good about my long runs.  I built up to 10 miles today.  It wasn't pretty.  Things just weren't right.  It happens.

I haven't fueled very well since...well, since Thanksgiving, if we are being honest.  Bad fueling means bad running.  It is as simple as that.  I haven't been hydrating and I haven't been eating clean.  Eat like an athlete, train like an athlete.  I am going to do better with this.

My clothes just were not working.  My bra rubbed my back and now there is a hot spot.  My underwear...well.....


I have misplaced my interval watch, so I had to use my husband's watch.  It beeps for 10 whole seconds every minute.  It wasn't what I was used to.

I slept in a little.  We didn't have any bagels.  I had half of a yucky banana.  I was cold.  It was just not a good day.  

I sound a lot like Alexander.  I might as well move to Australia.  (I bet there are great races there!)

But you know what?  Even with all of the bad, I ran 10 miles today.  I did it at 1:1 intervals.  I had to dodge ice.  I had a stiff headwind on the way home.  I wanted to turn left and go home at 8 miles instead of turning right to add some distance.  

I got it done today.  One mile at a time.  I was tired after the marathon.  I took some time off.  Now I miss training.  I waited a little to long to make this decision and my March races are going to be hard work.  Once March 22 comes and I cross the finish line at my third Shamrock, it's on.  I'm taking on the Warrior Challenge in May (5K, 8K and a half).  I'm going to Disneyland to run the Dumbo Double Dare Challenge (10K and Half).  I'm running the Marine Corps Marathon.  I've got work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment