Sunday, November 16, 2014

Hair of the Dog that Bit You


Stop me if you have heard this one....

One day, a girl decided that it would be a good idea to sign up for a full, 26.2 mile, marathon.  That same girl thought that it would be a better idea to run a half, 13.1 mile, marathon the day before.

That girl is CRAZY.....Goofy even.

So, here's the thing.  In order to run 39.3 miles in two days, every weekend that rolls over your head has back to back runs on the calendar.  Usually, the long run is on the first day and the longer run is on the second day.  Usually....

Because the Richmond Half/15 mile fun run was on Saturday, this weekend had the good fortune to be flip flopped.  After going 15 miles yesterday, I had to put my shoes on and do 8 more today.

My shoes broke up with me about 4 miles in today.  They told me that it wasn't them...it was me and that they needed some space.  I am going to kiss and make up with them on Tuesday.

I have never, ever put my on my running shoes on the day after a race.  I broke that streak today.

There was not a lot of good in today's miles.

This was my mantra today.  The goal was to get the miles in.  I wasn't going for speed.  I was just going to finish.  I walked the first mile to try and convince my feet that this was okay.  For the next mile, coach had me try 2/1 intervals.  The third mile was 1/1 intervals to see which I liked better.  Umm....I like NOT running the day after 15 miles better.  

For the first couple of miles, 2/1 felt okay.  It was almost easier than 1/1....almost.  At mile 4, just about everything from the hips down started to hurt.  I had a sharp pain in the joint of my big toe.  I crossed the street, felt a pop, and the pain went away.  My toe didn't hurt for the rest of the run.  I switched to strictly 1/1 intervals at mile 5.  I noticed that my walking intervals kept getting slower...and slower...and slower.  At mile 7, I decided to walk the last one too.  Hey, 6 miles of work isn't too bad.

The thought of putting another packet of Gu in my mouth made me gag a little, so I did not fuel for the entire time.  It actually worked.  I am not going to make a habit of it, but it worked for today.  

Surprisingly, I feel okay.  My hips are still tight, but they were tight yesterday.  My hamstring is still okay, but my knee is achy again.  I am tired and rungry.

So, I ran 23 miles this weekend....still 3 away from the full and 16 from the Goofy challenge.  It took me 5 hours.  I will be able to finish the full in under 6 hours at that rate.  My Garmin made it through all 23 miles....maybe it won't die down in Disney!

Tomorrow is a rest day.  I get to go on a field trip to Jamestown with my second graders!  There will be walking....lots of walking.  No rest for the Goofy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment