Saturday, November 15, 2014

America's Friendliest Marathon



There is something about running in a big race, in a big (ish....) city that makes running fun again!  For the third half of November (there will be 4 total), I made the trek to Richmond, Virginia for the Richmond Half.  They think pretty highly of themselves up there in Richmond.


I mean, friendliEST?  That means MORE friendly than any other marathon in America.  That's a pretty tall order.  With the 13.1 miles of the half being the tail end of my 15 mile training run....which is now my longest run to date.....I was looking forward to some friendly.  I have also been running races with sparse course support, so anything would be welcome.

Let's back up.  Before we can get to America's Friendliest Marathon, we need to get through the Expo.

My wonderful Race Support and kiddos hopped in the car at 3:00....on a Friday....in Hampton Roads....to cross the tunnel to make the 2 hour journey to Richmond.  As soon as we started, we saw a sign that the tunnel was blocked.  We hopped over to the James River Bridge and only lost about 10 minutes.  Miraculously, we made it to our hotel just at 5:00.  We checked in, took our stuff to the room, and went to find some dinner before venturing downtown to the Expo.

[Non running aside....we went to Roma's in Sandston.  It was AMAZING!!  I mean, AMAZING!!  Homemade rolls, noodles, pizza dough...everything!  The chef made frequent trips to the dining room.  Really, it was a great meal that we found by accident.  If you are in the Richmond area and you need to carb-load, check it out!]

After dinner, we drove to the Expo.  This was a bit of an adventure.  We found the parking lot because of the line of cars going the other direction.  Packet pick up was pretty well-organized, but the shirts were are the total opposite side of the building.  The Expo was crowded, which made navigation with three kids a little treacherous.  There were some neat things to do (a money machine, lots of wheels of chance), but pretty much the same kinds of things.  It was a little hectic.  Packet pick up and shirt lines were easy, short, and well organized, but the Expo itself was  little overwhelming.  Amazingly, on the way out, we randomly ran into BRF.  We made our plans for the morning and went our separate ways.

We headed back to the hotel.  [Note about the hotel....you get what you pay for.  I got so very excited to see a $60 rate.  I really, really hope that there are no bedbugs in our suitcases.  The Microtel was clean, but it wasn't the best kept....or best smelling place I have ever been.]  Race Support and I got the munchkins to bed and went to bed ourselves.  My wake up call would be at 4:45.  Needless to say, I slept pretty poorly.

The alarm went off at 4:45 and I snuck off to the bathroom to get dressed and eat my breakfast.  I met BRF and another running friend who stayed at the much classier Holiday Inn and kindly came to the other side of the tracks to pick me up!  We drove about 15-20 minutes into downtown Richmond and found some parking.  It was early...really early for a 7:30 start, but we had NO problems with traffic and found seats in the warm lobby of the Richmond Marriott, which was right near the start.

I need to interject that winter has arrived in Virginia.  It was a balmy 26 degrees as we made our way from the parking garage to the Marriott.

We hung out in the warm lobby until about 6:45 and then headed back out.  I needed to do my 2 mile warm up.  (I waited until it was light and there were more people downtown.  It was a good call, I think.)  No warm up could happen until we took our pre race "ussie".
Two half marathoners and our amazing marathoning friend!
With no real plan, I just wandered around for two miles, making sure I knew how to get back to the start.  I took them slow and easy....really slow....and really easy.  (Richmond is hilly people....I didn't want to wear myself out with 13.1 to go!)   

Then I made my way back to the start, tried to hit the porta potty (which didn't happen because everyone in Richmond had the same idea at the same time), and went back to my corral.  I realized that I was pretty hungry (even with my typical pre-race meal) and took a Gu before the gun.  Then I had to find a trash can.  I finally made it to the starting line and started the end of my run.  (Notice I did not say the race.  This was a training run for me.  The minute I start calling it a race, I get all worried about my time.  Don't all training runs have thousands of people, water stops, bands, signs, and medals??  No?)

I was taking it easy and started my intervals early in the race.  I dropped my fashionable thrift store hoodie at mile 1 (mile 3 of 15 for me).  I took off my awesome neon yellow hat at mile 2 (mile 4 of 15).  The gloves stayed on until mile 6 (8 of 15).

There is not much exciting to report about the actual race.  We ran through Richmond.  At about mile 6, we ran downhill into a park.  We ran uphill and downhill and uphill in the park for a mile and a half.  We ran uphill out of the park.  We ran through a neighborhood.  We made a turn towards the finish line that took us downhill.  Said hill was so steep, it was like repelling down the side of a mountain...facing out.  That hill was no joke.  I threw down a 10 minute mile at mile 14.5 of 15 on that hill.  Then the race ended.  Nothing too exciting.

But, Richmond spectators are really amazing.  I thought we had it good in Virginia Beach.  Richmond is better.

I think that the longest that I went without seeing someone with a sign or a cowbell or just clapping or even just standing there was about 50 yards.  That's it.  There were spectators for 13.1 miles.  It was amazing.  They yelled.  They clapped.  They had great signs.  (My favorites:  "I just want to cross the street." and "Slow down!  I'm trying to count people.")  They had fire pits in their front yards.  They had boxes of donuts.  At one house, the little kids were giving out their Halloween candy, I think.  One family had a bourbon stop.  Seriously.  They had little cups of Jim Beam.  They cheered when I took a cup.  [FYI - Bourbon is probably NOT the best fueling choice during a run.  However, it most definitely warmed up my insides for a mile or two!]  There was a beer stop about 1/4 mile later.  [After the bourbon, I did NOT think it would be a good choice to take the beer.]  At mile 9, a friendly face from home who just finished her first marathon last week was there with a sign.
Thanks Renee!
That's what I am going to remember about Richmond.  Not the hills, not the cold, not the hills....the people.  It was my first experience with a "big city" race and it was awesome!!!

Most importantly, I ran 15.1 miles today.  I am 11.1 miles away from the 26.2 needed to finish the marathon.  I kept 2/1 intervals for 10 miles.  (My 10 miles, not 10 race miles.)  I maintained 1/1 for the last 5.  I was passing people at the end.  I had enough energy to get down the mountain at the end.  My hamstring didn't talk to me.  (My knee did, but that's new....).  My feet hurt, but no blisters.  I might have had another mile or 2 in me today.   (1 or 2 is not 11.1.....I know....)  I posted 15 miles in 3:33!  Official "race" time was 3:02.  Not bad.

Now that I am home, my legs are tight, but not so bad that I can't walk or take care of my kiddos.  My left knee and calf are a bit swollen.

Biggest lesson of the day - I need to figure out a fueling option other than Gu.  I tried a Honey Stinger, which did not make me sick, but I didn't want to put any more Gu into my mouth.

Next up:  Harbor Lights Get Lit Challenge next weekend!  6 miles on 5K day and 16 on Half day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment