Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Mommy Guilt


One of the hardest things about being a mom is making time for myself.  Between taxi services (running people to and from camp), classwork, volunteer hours (PTA, children's choir, Navy spouse club, and now Boy Scouts), and getting ready for my new paid gig as a Kindergarten teacher, there isn't a lot of time left in the day for me.  It's hard to get to the gym.



Would YOU want to spend more time away from these faces than you have to??
I'm trying to get over the mommy guilt.  When they are gone all day and they finally come home, I still need to go to the gym.  It's not like I sit around all day and watch TV and eat candy bars.  

Let's take today, for instance.  Today is Wednesday.  I don't have any kids on Wednesday mornings.  The big boys have been at camp and the baby has been at baby camp.  I have had 3 hours of solitude on Wednesdays.

Except I haven't.

Today, I dropped the baby at camp while my mom took the big boys.  Then I went to church to work in my classroom and go to a meeting.  I was going to try and make a 10:30 Zumba class to get my workout in while everyone was at camp.  
My meeting started late and ran long, so I missed Zumba.  I did get some work done in the classroom, so that's a good thing.  But, I still needed to get a workout in.  So, after camp, we went to the Y.  I ran on the treadmill and did weights while the boys played in Childwatch.

I had guilt about missing that hour with my babies, but I needed to run.  I needed to do my weights.  

I am home to feed them breakfast.  I am home to get them off the bus.  I feed them dinner and most nights I am home to tuck them in at night.  (If I'm not, then I kiss them when I get home.)  I was fortunate enough to see first steps and I've helped pull teeth.  I did the potty training.

An hour in Childwatch won't kill them.....someone remind me of that the next time I have to go to the gym.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment