Saturday, May 18, 2013

Losing my Mojo


Something's wrong.  My life seems out of balance.  I am tired...all of the time.  I am cranky...most of the time.  I count the minutes until bedtime on most days.  The big boys fight with each other all day and the baby cries and wants to be held.  I lose Mom of the Year every single day.  I just want a minute of peace where nobody needs me and there isn't something that I have to do next.  I also want a clean house.

So, when things have seemed out of balance before, I could go for a run.  Then life would feel a little less chaotic and a little more centered.  That's not even working.  I've lost my mojo.

Two weeks ago, I had an amazing race at Nike DC.  I mean, seriously, it was a great run.  It felt good, I stayed strong for just about 13 miles.  I finished fast (fast for me).  Then something happened.  I couldn't recover from the distance.  I caught a chest cold.  Walking from my bedroom to my living room would send me into a coughing fit that was completely unproductive.

I got up last Saturday morning with the plan to run 4 miles.  I got through my warm-up walk and started my first running interval.  My head felt fuzzy.  The watched beeped and I started walking.  I couldn't recover from the running interval.  My breathing was labored, I was light headed.  It was work. I dropped my intervals to 1 and 1.  I made it about a mile.  Then I decided that pushing through wasn't going to work, so I walked home.  Goal for the day was 4 miles, I made it 2.

I wish I could say things are getting better.  They are not.  I am ending this week with a childbirth-caused situation.  I don't get it often, but when I do, it's a doozy.  Walking and sitting is uncomfortable and running is out of the question.  So, another week without a run.

I need my running mojo back.  I have a hilly half in 2 weeks that I am not prepared for.  It's going to kick my butt.  I am supposed to start speedwork on the track this week.  I was really looking forward to it.

Tomorrow's 5K ought to be interesting.....

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry, we all have weeks like that. Suggestion: after a bad chest cold, sometimes using an inhaler helps with the running/breathing thing. I need one all the time because I have asthma, but my friends often use one after a bad cold. And mojo? Girl, your body needs a break. You've done a lot of races back to back to back. For every 12 weeks of training, your body needs a complete week off, as well as one day for each hour of racing. Listen to your body. I know it's hard but it's necessary or your body will start to fight you on it and force you to recover and rest. :)

    ReplyDelete